Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Tiles going up

The backsplash tiles have started going up. I'm learning as I go. The internet is full of instructions on how to install glass mosaic tiles. Of course, it's always some smiling person standing in front of a wall to be tiled -- swoop the trowel across this way, now hold at an angle and notch the mortar, now smooth it out -- their arm sweeping across the wall in easy, practiced movements. They don't show the reality of bending across the counter trying to reach the far corner while also trying not to hit your head on the cabinets above, or tiling the little 5-inch gap between the top of the counter and the bar. With the first strip, I learned how much mortar NOT to put on. I did way too much, and when I pressed the strip of tiles against the wall as you're supposed to, mortar came squirting out between the tiles. I spent the next 40 minutes picking it out of the spaces with a toothpick. So I didn't get much done the first day. Here's what I've got so far.

No comments :

Post a Comment