Wednesday, July 31, 2013

How to get a building permit in Monterey

Today's lesson in Monterey government: Building Permits.

If you're doing any sort of renovation project, or replacing any major systems like the furnace or roof, you're going to need a building permit. A permit is required for pretty much anything you might need to do, which I suppose is the same everywhere. You can have your contractor pull the permit for you, or, as the homeowner, you can do it yourself.

I'm in need of a furnace replacement permit, and my contractor wants $90 per hour for his time to pull the permit, so I decided it might be interesting to do it myself. Here's what I learned.


First, you'll need to download and print the Building Permit application form.

The first page asks for some basic information about the project; it's pretty straighforward. On the second page, you have to make some declarations about your asbestos situation. For replacement of an existing furnace in an uninsulated crawlspace, I was pretty sure the Federal Asbestos NESHAP was not applicable. But technically, the form says "I have contacted the Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District....to determine if NESHAP is applicable, and" followed by a couple of options. Since I didn't want to swear under penalties of perjury that I had contacted MBUAPCD (!) when I hadn't, I did.  Talked to a nice guy named Mike who asked me a couple of questions and said my project was exempt.  So if you need to do this, call the MBUAPCD and talk to Mike.

That hurdle crossed, complete the form and take it down to City Hall, together with your checkbook.  Building and Inspection services is in Room 4.

You'll be asked to complete an Owner's Notification form. Because you are pulling the permit yourself, they want you to acknowledge that you understand that you shouldn't hire unlicensed contractors, if you hire unlicensed workers you're liable for them, might be considered their employer and have to pay taxes and workers comp, yadda, yadda, yadda.   It's a bit intimidating, but after reading it carefully, nothing that put me off signing it.

Next comes the permit itself. On the form, there are a couple of declarations you have to sign. The first regards Worker's Comp again. The choices are: you have it, you're certified as self insured for it, or you're not going to directly employ anyone so you're not responsible for Worker's Comp.  Pick the third one.

On the back, you have to address contractor licensing regulations. The best choice is the one that basically says "I'm the property owner and intend to use licensed contractors, so I don't need a license myself."

Fork over the fee (in this case, $109) and they will give you:

  • a receipt
  • the permit
  • a copy of the Owner's Notification form,
  • and the Inspection form to be posted at the job site. At the end of the job, you call to arrange an inspection, and the inspector will sign this form. 
That's it, done. 

No comments :

Post a Comment