Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Trees away

This week I learned about tree removal.  There's a very large, very tall eucalyptus right next to the house that gets blown about like crazy when it's windy and makes us really nervous.  It didn't help when the arborist we had out said "I see you have a couple of 'widow makers' up there. "  Widow makers being large branches that get brittle, break off, but get caught up in the tree, ready to fall without warning and spear someone.

So I set out to find out Monterey's tree regulations.


Of course, you must obtain a permit from the City before you can remove a tree on private property.
I called the Parks Department and talked to a friendly-enough lady who took my name and address and explained the process:

  • She will send me an application via snail mail (nothing official gets done online around here)
  • I fill out the top portion and snail mail it back
  • Someone will call me to schedule an appointment to come out and look at the tree
  • If approved, they will give me a permit
  • The fee is $50, unless the tree is dead or dangerous
Mmmm.....almost. 

The application form arrived after a few days. I filled it out and mailed it back last Friday. Today (two days later) someone from the Parks Division called and gave me verbal permission to remove the tree. To my knowledge, no one came to examine the tree (unless he stopped by on his way to work and peeked over the fence, which I seriously doubt). 

I'm now to mail $50, after which they will mail me a permit. (It seems the coveted "dangerous tree" designation is difficult to get, considering there's $50 at stake.)  Just put a check for $50 in an envelope and mail it -- they'll get it.  And the thing is, they will.  

They might not have the latest technology, but it's easy to get to the right person, they're quite friendly, and things happen quickly.  No automated answering, no menu of choices, no getting around to various departments, no waiting weeks for a resolution.  

One of the delights of a small town.

No comments :

Post a Comment